Click on any cartoon panel to enlargify it!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Clowns and Cavemen





I seem to find humor in just about any situation, which isn't always a good thing, like when serving jury duty for instance.
Over the years I've ended up with stacks of gags, mostly drawn on various sizes and scraps of paper, or whatever I could find when an idea hits. Here's some that I actually cleaned up when I thought I might submit some work to the cartoon syndicates. A co-worker told me that strip-style horizontal panels were an easier sell for newspaper comics, so I drew up some, but I was never comfortable with that format. I prefer vertical panels ala Gary Larson.
Cavemen and clowns are a favorite subject because they are so much fun to draw, and their comic situations are endless.

3 comments:

  1. These are OK.. The illustrations are great.Clown drive by could use differant sized clowns in a small tinnier car or maybe something totally offbeat , dogs throwing bones or executives with
    staplers. Cavemen need something offbeat more in thier hands for a quick read.The last two...push the scale of things ...it would make it funnier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clowns in a clown car are funnier than executives and everyone knows that clowns throw buckets of confetti to freak people out. On the other hand, I don't think this redraw of the original vertical panel works as well. Should have posted that one.

    Something in their hands? Have you ever played rock, paper, scissors? -Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what that guy IS talking about. I looked at these with the kids and we GOT ALL of the jokes even the kids and we really did laugh out loud. I loved the cave men gags equally. The rock tie! and hanger trowing!! FUNNY!!!!!! LOVED THEM!!

    ReplyDelete