Click on any cartoon panel to enlargify it!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Poker faces in Hell


Seems like every household and workplace has the same problem with getting the air temp just right so everyone is happy. I've dealt with this a lot at work when a group of offices all share the same central air ducting. Too hot, too cold; the fight over the thermostat never ends. So I thought, what's the most ridiculous place to find one... I suppose that would be hell. And then I thought of the absurdity of having it readily accessible to everyone there. Voila!

2 comments:

  1. Illustrations great! But I wish there was more punch.Like one of them could have an angel halo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    It's interesting you would say that. First off, the drawing is always the easy part, because a solidly written gag could be redrawn by a mediocre artist and it will still be funny (most New Yorker gags that are published are roughs). That said, I felt the same way about this one in the beginning, that it needed something more, and I rethought it and redrew it many times with different twists and scenarios, but always came back to this original idea; that's it's ridiculous to have a thermostat in hell and that anybody would even have access to it. That's the joke, while also poking fun at the devil for not picking up on that. Whether it's a successful gag or not, I like the subtlety of it. Focusing on a secondary character (such as adding a halo) only detracts from the original gag idea, and creates another competing gag. Thanks for your input. -Ted Blackman

    ReplyDelete