Click on any cartoon panel to enlargify it!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Leo Meets Mona



I had to dig into my archives tonight because I haven't had as much time to do new cartoons lately. This one dates from about 1983 or '84. I was working on the Queen Mary ship in Long Beach, in their accounting dept. of all places, when I drew this one up. This was shortly before I broke into animation. I was working there when the Spruce Goose plane attraction opened up. I was a cash controller, and counted a ton of money at that place, and did the accounting paperwork on it every day. I remember feeling I didn't fit in with a bunch of people whose goal every day was to get to a zero balance as early as possible so they could sit around and do nothing till quitting time. Next day they would start the same process all over again with a new set of numbers, trying to make it all balance out again. They seemed to like their repetitious jobs, and that's a good thing, because we need math people, but it was no place for an artist, and I was happy to go when animation called.
Anyway, I remember that I spent a lot of time on this drawing back then, and thought it looked pretty good, but when I look at it now I see how much I've improved. I remember an art teacher telling us that we should keep every drawing we do, so that when we look at them in later years we can see our improvements, but I continue to throw out the crappy stuff. I only need to keep one or two drawings from when I was a kid to know how shitty I was back then. It's funny, but have you ever noticed how mothers will hang onto the worst drawings you did as a kid, even after you've told them that you will redraw it for them much better? And they always bust out those stinkers when company is over. -Ted

3 comments:

  1. the childhood drawing is a piece of history :) I wished I still have some of mine.. I think most of them got destroyed or lost somewhere.

    Btw, nice one as usual, Ted :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to add.. your effective lines and storytelling are superb in your recent pieces in comparison with this one. but man.. you were really funny back then too.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles, thanks so much. As for the early drawings, I'm mostly referring to the ones I did when I was a teenager, when I was beginning to learn a few things but not enough to create anything worth saving.
    I love the drawings we do when we are very young, they have a charm and innocence that you can never reclaim in later years.

    ReplyDelete