Click on any cartoon panel to enlargify it!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

1931: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde



Here's another one I never got around to painting. (just buying a little time till I'm able to post another cartoon.)
Ever seen the 1931 Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie starring Fredric March? It's one of my favorite films. Mr. March won an Oscar for his performance in it, which is almost unheard of for a horror film. The beautiful Miriam Hopkins also starred. That other Dr. Jekyll film starring Spencer Tracy?.. don't waste your time. This is the one to see.
So, I thought I'd do a tribute to it back in '97, combining March/Mr Hyde in full make-up with a vintage biker setting. That's one of my other loves, old motorcycles.
Maybe one day I'll get around to painting it, who knows. Don't hold your breath. ha!

-Ted


17 comments:

  1. When I was growing up, we had Classics Illustrated comic books and one of my favorites was Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Your Mr. Hyde is so modern! Heheh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this drawing is awesome! It's always a pleasure to see something different from the ole Ted vault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hyde's Ride! You cold do a whole series of these with the classic monsters, love the motorcycle theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at the background one can see what was on the Blackman mind in 1997...Like seeing you old stuff (I like this in B&W).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your drawing is sending out 'Tom of Finland' vibes haha
    but yeah like GutterBall said, I too like to see more bikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha Ha I thought the same as Rod! :) HA HA
    the two signs betray your old thinking.
    Very good drawing, as always!
    That woman was really beautiful, eh (I searched google images and kept several in my file, I like to paint the faces of old hollywood actresses
    Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. will see Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed! Great lines and drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this guy needs to go definitely to the Orthodontist...
    maybe he is riding already to get his new brackets....

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never realized that this movie was like those Geico caveman commercials!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, you captured his mug completely! Hyde on a hog. Look at those pearly whites. He's a babe magnet, for sure! I love a man with generous nostrils. GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS! Hahaha, Ted, this is excellent and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great work Ted!! Colour it!!!! Pleeeeeeeease!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Ol' Fred from the movie "The Best Years of our Lives"?? I never knew he played a Hyde. Have to check it out, must be good for an Oscar. Great Hyde on a bike . . . let's ride!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is Aces high! You should finish, I'm seeing an Earth X Famous Monsters cover...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice drawing. I like the tattoos. This Hyde looks a likable man to me, though.

    By the way, my husband says I'm like "Jekyll and Hyde" :)

    ReplyDelete